Fast growing IT Services business looking for high energy SQL Server DBA Team Lead
DSP offers award winning IT Consultancy and Modern Managed Services for Oracle, Microsoft and Cloud technologies (particularly Oracle Cloud, Azure and AWS). Our mission is to ensure that our clients have access to enterprise grade application platforms that are optimally managed, whether on-premise or in the cloud. We combine 20 years of technical expertise, first rate people and innovative services such as ‘Continuous Maintenance’ to offer 24x7x365 support services both in the UK and around the globe. Joining DSP means working alongside well-respected consultants in a market leading, high-growth business which is aiming to lead the pack when it comes to modern service delivery. Automation, Machine Learning, Devops and Cloud are at the heart of the services we offer.
DSP’s consultants offer expert help with formulating strategy, quantifying business benefits, identifying opportunities and implementing solutions that best meet customer requirements using the Microsoft or Oracle Solution Stack.
You will report directly to the Head of Technical Services and be responsible for the delivery and scheduling on the SQL Server / Azure side of the business. This will include ensuring support numbers, consultancy bookings and delivery are all covered to a high standard plus process and documentation across the team.
In addition to the above you will still be very much involved in the day to day technical activities as a senior SQL Server DBA
Role & Responsibilities
- Maintain support ROTA’s and consultancy bookings for the SQL Server Team
- Provide a primary point of escalation for customers and team members
- Implement procedures for enhanced efficiency in the SQL Team ensuring they complement procedures in other DB areas.
- Assist in Pre-Sales calls with customers and ensuring the delivery of any purchased consultancy
Managed Services Support:
- Maintain support for Managed Clients, responding to tickets and support functions.
- Assist with support issues as and when required via the Service Desk
- Assist with covering in hours support between 08:30 and 18:00 as needed
- Understand and help with the client installs of dsp’s enterprise monitoring solution (UIM).
- On Call Support: The role will carry an on-call element.
- Keep Microsoft certification up-to-date
Consultancy Elements when required:
- Represent dsp onsite at customers as the advisor, architect and implementer.
- Work with customers and delivery partners to help define and deliver high impact solutions based on the SQL Server platform.
- Act as consultant to our clients in varied engagements which could range from a 2-day piece of consultancy to a 3-month project.
- Engage in database projects ranging from upgrades to performance tuning and migration to Azure, disaster recovery and high availability.
- Work with management when necessary to resolve sensitive account issues and to effectively manage customer incidents.
- Proactively work with the sales team and provide pre-sales.
Key Success Criteria
Achievements and targets will be based upon the following:
- Customer support SLAs met
- Successful project delivery
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Percentage of time on support / project tasks
- SQL Server Database experience, with involvement in some or all the following areas: operation and troubleshooting, system architecture, design and implementation
- Consulting/services experience would be advantageous – i.e. the direct provision of technical thought leadership and services to external teams, stakeholders or customers
- Experience of technical team management and resource scheduling
- Understanding of MSP best practice and process creation / delivery
Dsp values above all openness, excellence, reliability.
Primary Technical Skills – DBA
The ideal candidate will have gained the following skills over 1-5 years:
- SQL Server Relational Database Engine Database administration from SQL 2000 to 2017
- Experience of using transactional replication
- Disaster recovery including log shipping, Mirroring and availability groups would be advantageous
- Architecture, design and implementation of highly-available database solutions (OLTP)
- Database & Application performance tuning
- Understanding and application of database design techniques
- Transact-SQL programming skills
- Data querying and display using Reporting Services (SSRS), Performance Point Services and Excel Services
- Cloud experience and understanding, ideally with Microsoft Azure.
- Understanding of Windows and core services like Active Directory, DNS
- Appreciation for Hardware components
- Experience in team management and resourcing
- Pre-Sales experience
Secondary Technical Skills – Business Intelligence
- Large-scale data manipulation and Extract Transform and Load (ETL) using SQL Server Integration Services, Transact-SQL code and other techniques
- OLAP cube architecture, design and implementation using SQL Server Analysis Services
- Familiarity with SQL Server development tools (Management Studio and Business Intelligence Development Studio)
- A working knowledge of one or more .NET development languages and associated database APIs
Customers are generally based in the greater London Area, but you may be required to stay away from home during the working week
This role will be based in our new Nottingham Office